Friday, August 5, 2011

Destination reached.

When I left Des Moines I had the brilliant idea to create a blog so interested parties could follow my trip. Of course I didn't take into consideration a few details. One was computer time, although my hosts and hostesses were more than understanding if I wanted to sit and use the computer, their company was the gift of my travel and I wanted to take advantage of every minute with them. We managed to sit and laugh and share stories of "old times" and just generally enjoy each others company. The second was exhaustion. I seem to require naps a little more often now and after fun days of visiting and exploring, that old bedtime came around faster.
For my own sake and anyone interested, I will be posting more photos of the journey. It was great! As happy as I am to be here with my family I savor the memory of the trip. It is wonderful to travel alone and be in awe of your surroundings, but sometimes there was that moment when you wanted to say "look at that" to a fellow traveller.
The closer I got to the destination, the churning in my stomach increased. Anticipation? Fear of the unknown? Early on Wednesday morning I got a text from  my son Jarred and it said "I hope you are as excited as your family is!". I felt myself sit up and immediately check my "Nav Nan" or better known as Garman navigator to see how far it was to Portland and wanted to zoom.
Arriving in Portland at peak hour traffic was daunting and if you have ever used a navigator it was somewhat comical. Confused June, confusing Nav Nan by not following her directions. She had to keep "recalculating" I actually found myself talking to her.
The reunion was great followed by another great Jarred quote "I realized today, you aren't going back" then a funny little grin. I guess I still feel like I am on a vacation.
That bubble burst when I went to Travis' yesterday where all my things are stored in the barn. Oh MY!!!
I thought I had scaled down. I was stunned and now reality has hit. I am here to stay. I will just have to take it one step at a time,  the rest will follow. Onward and upward.

No comments:

Post a Comment